August 2015: (UPDATED at March 2017)
PLEASE OBSERVE “LEAVE NO TRACE” ETIQUETTE. Let’s enjoy the Mother Nature without DESTROYING it! 🙂
Not so far from the crowded vibes of Manila is a beach located along the southern part of Batangas. A merely 4 hour bus and boat ride will bring you to the municipality of Tingloy where the unspoiled beach of Masasa is situated. It boasts of clear inviting water, very laid back surrounding and a place that is serene in its own right.
DLTB bus line along Buendia terminal offers a trip going to Batangas grand terminal. From there, ride a jeepney bound to Anilao port and tell the driver to drop you off at Talaga port. Ask for the boats bound to Tingloy island. Do not forget to register your names before disembarking. From Tingloy port ride atricycle going to Masasa beach. You will be dropped off near the rice field, a merely 10-15 minute walk away from the beach.
Note: Talaga Port is used only during HABAGAT SEASON. Anilao Port is used during summer season/regularly. (Anilao to Tingloy Port boat trip schedule: 10am, 11am, 12nn and 3:30 pm. Tingloy to Anilao Port: 6am, 7am, 8am, 9am and 2:30pm)
WHERE TO STAY
You can either camp or stay at Aling Rosie’s Bahay Kubo. Aling Rosie’s is the only choice of accommodation in the island unless you pitch your own tent along the shore. Rate starts at 200/head for an overnight stay in one of her kubos. This includes usage of the kitchen and utensils. She will also provide you banig, pillows and blanket for the night. However,the kubo is really intended for sharing especially if you’re travelling alone or in pairs. But the place is spacious enough and has two bathrooms so you don’t need to worry.
Ate Rosie’s contact number +639196864368 and facebook page ‘Nanay Rosie Kubo and Transients’.
If you would like to have a room of your own, I think the rate starts at 700 good for two persons. You would have your own comfort room and kitchen. For larger group accommodation, Aling Rosie offers a two-storey Bahay Kubo that can house 20-30 guests. The rate starts at 2000 pesos depending on the number of the guests.
UPDATE: Please read the comment below for the updated (Mandana’s Residence / +639178255513) I’ve read that they have a very nice service also.
WHAT TO DO
The place itself is very laid back and there’s no other best thing to do than to relax and enjoy the beach. You can go swim and snorkel at your own risk. There are rock formations on the other side of the island that you can check out. It’s the best place for you to watch the sun to set. You can also hike the nearby Mt. Mag-Asawang Bato for you to see the panoramic view of the island.
· The first trip from Talaga port going to Tingloy is scheduled at 10:30am but the boat may leave early once it is full. It would be better if you arrive early so you would have ample time to buy food and stocks in the market. (There’s a market near Talaga Port). Last trip is scheduled at 2pm.
· First trip of the boats back to Talaga Port isat 6am. Last trip is scheduled at 9am. If you happen to miss the passenger boat, you can negotiate with the bangkeros (boatman) around the island. The rate usually starts at 2500 that can accommodate up to 25 persons.
· Do not forget buy stocks and foods as there are no available maket and store in the island.
· Electricity in the island is unpredictable. It usually runs at 12 in the afternoon until 12 midnight. Just have your powerbanks ready because sometimes the schedule is not strictly followed.
· Aling Rosie has her own sari-sari store near her Bahay Kubo. But it is only limited to certain goods and the price is higher than the usual.
· Bring your own snorkeling gear or goggles, as there are no available for rents in the island.
- Bus (Manila to Batangas grand terminal): 157php/head
- Jeep (BGT to Talaga port): 37php/head
- Passenger boat (going to Tingloy Island): 65php/head
- Tricycle (to Masasa Beach): (60php/ride) devided by 2 = 30php/head/ride
Total transportation: 289php/head x 2 = 578php/head round trip
- Accommodation: 200php/head
- Food: 220php/head
UPDATE: Environmental fee of 30Php!